How it all began

Little more than two years ago, I was on the hunt.  A hunt to help provide for my family.  I separated from the Air Force in the fall of 2013 and just settled in to my new home as a newlywed with a one year old daughter in the wonderful state of California (Connecticut native here!).

There was a thirst to make something of myself after the military.  But what was it?  My job in the Air force was Security Forces, popularly known as Military Police within the other branches.

I spent my entire enlistment in Montana, and while I was there, grew to detest the career I was in.  I'm 99% sure the reason was the location since I know plenty of people in the same career that made it exactly that, a career.  When I left the cold tundra of Montana (some exaggeration there), I swore I would not go into law enforcement.  Security Forces rubbed me wrong and I associated my experiences while there to what I would come to expect if I pursued a career in law enforcement on the civilian side of it.

So, that left a question for me.  What did I plan to do for the foreseeable future?

Realistically, I knew a one income family would not cut it in this modern age.  I needed to find something to help out.  Also, being active duty for 6 years, I was accustomed to a rigorous schedule.  I was not used to this present sedentary life I had entered and desperately needed to do something about it.

I was already pursuing a bachelor's degree online, so that was something to spend my time on.  But, in-between schooling and taking care of my daughter, I began to do what we all do in this time of finding ourselves: search the web.

I did not want to settle for any job.  I wanted something permanent.

It wasn't long before I found myself perusing city PD or the SO.  I already knew I had some experience thanks to my military background.  I was already used to shift schedules and had the discipline that comes from being in the military (of course, there are some military personnel who are lax in that department).  Why not go for something I was already familiar wirh?

I actually do not remember how I came across the California Highway Patrol (CHP) website, but in the end, I found myself there, reading what a CHP career had to offer, the different types of jobs you could pursue once you were established, and not to mention, the kickass benefits that comes with putting your life on the line every day you wear that badge and tan uniform.

Call me intrigued, that I was.  I wasn't really nervous in the beginning.  I thought, hey, I was in the military.  I did basic training.  I can do this.  Boy, was I in for a rude awakening!

And so I clicked the apply button and waited.  Waited for the email confirmation, giving me the date and time of the PAT (physical abilities test).

Now, I was a little nervous.  The minimum standards on passing the PAT were feasible and while I was still in the Air Force, laughably easy (my workouts contained some insanity, running, swimming, and strength training).  My PAT date was exactly 6 weeks post pregnancy.  I had given birth to my son in November.  My PAT would take place the second week of December 2014.  I knew I had some work cut out for me.

Luckily, for me, I was still working out while I was pregnant and jumped right back into it about a week after giving birth.

When I arrived on the academy grounds in Sacramento, I was confident I would pass.  I had tested myself on the runs, I did sprints to work on speed, I worked on the hated push-ups and sit-ups.  I knew I would pass the minimum at least.  I would take it.  A pass at that time was a pass regardless of how poor it was.

I arrived, confident and nervous at the same time.  I felt sick to my stomach (actually feeling a little queasy right now just thinking about it).  The good thing was that I was not alone.  Hundreds of applicants arrived that day hoping to make the cut to the next step of the application process.

We all gathered into the gym, packed like sardines, there were so many of us.  We were separated into groups to make the process easier.  Before the PAT began, a PT instructor stepped onto the stage and began to brief us on what was going to happen, the minimum level we needed to be at and that not everyone would pass.  One thing I remember the instructor saying was the reason for having the PAT be the first step.

When the written test was taken prior to the physical, they saw a lot of people passing the written, only to succumb to the minimum demands of the physical test (which in their opinion, was pretty low to begin with).  He (the CHP) did not want his time wasted, and had the PAT take place first to weed out those too weak to meet the minimums.  I got where he was coming from.  The job demanded a lot mentally and physically.  It made sense to want to get that portion of the application process done with immediately.

For the sit-up and push-up portion of the test, females were paired with females.  I ended up paired with a petite female and thought, yeah, she has this.  We both knocked out push-ups, but when it came to sit-ups, she failed.  The goal was 31 sit-ups.  She got less than half of that.  That day, I learned not to assume what the human body can or cannot do simply on the basis of size.  But what had me going wow was what happened afterwards.  We went back to our group and the guys there asked us how it went.  She was gathering up her stuff, stating she had missed the sit-ups by 1.  I was standing right next to her while she said this.  She either didn't see me there (I highly doubt it) or she didn't care.  In my opinion, missing sit-ups by 1 is worse than missing them by 16.  To me, it states that she did not care enough to push through 1 more sit-up.  Just 1more!  She definitely did not live by the motto of CHP employees do not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those that do, which is safe to say that it was a good thing she did not make the cut that day.

Step II was the written exam.  I did not study for this exam and felt that I really didn't need to.  On reading about what to expect with in the application process, I read that the written exam was based on high school level reading and writing.  Having been enrolled in college classes even then, I was not worried about this portion and decided to just wing it.  We had 2.5 hours to finish 125 questions covering spelling, vocabulary, grammar and reading comprehension.

Once that portion was completed, I got up, gathered my things and walked out of the exam room with my head held high and fingers (figuratively) crossed.

Now comes the waiting game.    

Comments

Popular Posts